BY: Ryan Adams
Tampa Bay Lightning forward, Marty St. Louis, has added a third Lady Byng Trophy to his resume. On Friday before Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals, the 2013 NHL Awards were announced with St. Louis beating out the Islanders Matt Moulson and Blackhawks Patrick Kane for the honor. The trophy is given to the player who best demonstrates sportsmanship and gentlemanly play over the course of a season.
Over his entire 14-year NHL career, 12 of which played with the Bolts, St. Louis has amassed a stellar and consistent career to go along with his multiple awards and a Stanley Cup ring to his name. He has 340 goals, 572 assists, for a total of 912 points over his 14 seasons in the league.
Below is the official release from the NHL
(Via. NHL Media)
Right wing Martin St. Louis of the Tampa Bay Lightning has won the 2012-13 Lady Byng Memorial Trophy, awarded "to the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability," as selected by the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association.
St. Louis received 47 first-place votes and was named on 119 ballots among the 179 cast for a total of 824 points, winning a close three-way race over Patrick Kane of the Chicago Blackhawks (785) and Matt Moulson of the New York Islanders (741). Points are allocated on a 10-7-5-3-1 basis for first through fifth place.
St. Louis is the Lady Byng Trophy winner for the third time in the past four seasons, having also captured the award in 2009-10 and 2010-11.
He has been voted a finalist on four other occasions.
The 37-year-old native of Laval, Que., led the NHL with 43 assists and 60 points in 48 games to capture his second career Art Ross Trophy (2003-04). He averaged 1.25 points per game, becoming one of only three players in League history to achieve that mark at age 37 or older (Mario Lemieux, 2002-03; Gordie Howe, 1968-69). St. Louis also ranked second among NHL forwards in total time on ice (1,055:12), but was assessed just 14 penalty minutes.
2012-2013 Lady Byng Memorial Trophy Voting
1. Martin St. Louis, TB 824 (47-29-21-12-10)
2. Patrick Kane, CHI 785 (44-28-20-13-10)
3. Matt Moulson, NYI 750 (35-28-27-17-18)
4. Pavel Datsyuk, DET 536 (13-26-23-31-16)
5. Logan Couture, S.J. 354 (8-19-15-15-21)
6. Kris Letang, PIT 162 (2-6-13-9-8)
7. Derek Stepan, NYR 98 (1-5-5-7-7)
8. Jason Pominville, MIN 74 (0-2-7-4-13)
9. Loui Eriksson, DAL 72 (3-2-2-4-6)
10. Ryan Callahan, NYR 62 (5-0-0-3-3)
11. Brandon Sutter, PIT 56 (2-0-4-5-1)
12. Patrice Bergeron, BOS 54 (1-3-2-4-1)
13. Teemu Selanne, ANA 52 (2-3-2-0-1)
14. Anze Kopitar, L.A. 51 (1-2-2-4-5)
15. Matt Read, PHI 46 (1-1-3-3-5)