By Tom Krasniqi
For the first time this offseason, the entire Buccaneers team was out on the practice field as the OTAs (Organized Team Activities) got underway Monday at One Buc Place. Well, almost everyone.
Head coach Greg Schiano says the attendance was perfect. Every player was at the facility but not everyone was practicing. Schiano says Monday’s practice was “sloppy” and filled with penalties but that’s to be expected for the first practice.
The big controversy (if you want to call it that) was a story from the National Football Post over the weekend that made some headlines. Schiano was quoted by Dan Pompei as saying that rookie QB Mike Glennon could be ready to challenge Josh Freeman for the starting job this season.
On Monday, Schiano reiterated that Freeman is his man. “I believe in competition but also Josh Freeman is my starting quarterback”, says Schiano. The coach says Freeman and Glennon both know the deal. Glennon says he’s still learning the playbook and that his head is still spinning. Doesn’t sound like a quarterback competition right now, does it? Freeman will not be threatened by Glennon anytime soon.
News & Notes:
- DE Adrian Clayborn was on the practice field but only did individual drills as he continues to rehab from a torn ACL. “Everything is going good right now. I’m a little bit ahead of schedule”, says Clayborn.
- Josh Freeman doesn’t get fazed one bit by the drafting of Mike Glennon. Freeman says Glennon is a “great player” and will try and help him out anyway he can. “It’ll be fun. We’re both competitors. We’re both going to work as hard as we can…trying to find a way to get more wins on the Buccaneers side”.
- New Bucs CB Darrelle Revis rode the stationary bike for a while, then the $96-million man jogged and did some individual drills on the opposite practice field. Schiano says Revis is feeling better every day and the goal is to get him ready for Week 1.
- The highlight of the day was a skirmish between C-G Jeremy Zuttah and rookie DT Akeem Spence. Schiano called the dust-up a “rookie mistake”. Spence says he was going full speed: “Hopefully, he [Zuttah] respects me for that. I want to be a part of this team.”
- Schiano says guards Carl Nicks (toe) and Davin Joseph (knee) are progressing. Nicks is on schedule and won’t practice during OTAs. Joseph should be ready in a couple of weeks. “We feel good about both of them”, says Schiano.
- With Revis sidelined, Leonard Johnson lined up with the first team at CB today and Dekoda Watson was the first team strongside linebacker. Mason Foster was at MLB and LaVonte David at weakside LB.