By Tom Krasniqi
The Buccaneers kicked off the start of their 3 day voluntary minicamp on Tuesday at One Buc Place. Head coach Lovie Smith finally got to see his team on the field. The first practice lasted more than two hours.
“Up-tempo practice today,” Smith said after practice. He also added that the team made “a lot of mistakes.”
And that’s to be expected. Anytime you have a new coach and systems, there will be learning curve.
As for attendance, Lovie says it’s 100% for the “voluntary” minicamp. Surely, if a player wants to make a good impression on the new regime, he has to be present. And nobody skipped out.
Lovie says they have a long way to go but adds that he feels “very confident” that he has the players necessary to run his schemes on both sides of the ball.
And more talent is on the way with the draft just over two weeks away.
News & notes:
- LG Carl Nicks spoke to the media today before practice. He says he has nerve damage in his surgically repaired foot, which can’t be a good thing. MRSA and the foot problem has kept Nicks on the sidelines for 14 games last season. Nicks believes he will be ready for training camp.
- Nicks did not practice today. Also, starting safeties Mark Barron and Dashon Goldson were held out.
- New QB Josh McCown took the reps with the first team offense with Mike Glennon as the #2 and Mike Kafka running with the third team. Lovie liked what he saw from Glennon: “He made some good throws today.”
- The first team offensive looked like this: LT Anthony Collins, LG Oniel Cousins, C Evan Dietrich-Smith, RG Patrick Omameh, RT Demar Dotson. Again, it's minicamp so these lineups are subject to change.
- The first team defensive line: LDE Adrian Clayborn and RDE Michael Johnson. Gerald McCoy and Clinton McDonald at DT.
- DE Da’Quan Bowers says he’s at 280 pounds. He wants to drop 10 more pounds to play at 270.
- TE Tim Wright looked impressive in 1-on-1 drills. Wright says he put on a couple of pounds of muscle and looks to be in terrific shape. He says his weight is in the “mid 230s”. He also hinted that he may line up some in the slot and out wide to take advantage of matchups.
- Vincent Jackson and Chris Owusu took the first teams at WR.
- The voluntary minicamp runs through Thursday.